Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Yuki Tsunoda: RB aim to fight with top five teams.
    Yuki Tsunoda hopes that RB can close the gap to the top five and continue fighting for regular points.
    May 8, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

The Miami GP was another strong event for Yuki Tsunoda. For the main Grand Prix, however, the RB driver elevated his level. He secured yet another Q3 appearance in the VCARB 01, putting himself in a strong position to fight for points. This is precisely what he did on Sunday, executing a race characterised by speed and maturity. His first stint on the medium tyres was crucial, allowing him to capitalise on the Safety Car and strengthen his chances of points. After Lewis Hamilton passed him at the restart, Tsunoda managed to create a significant gap to George Russell in the Mercedes behind.

RB and Tsunoda aim to progress further. With another P7 result secured, the 23-year-old is optimistic that VCARB can close the gap to the top five: “Every race so far, we’re always driving -at least – around P10. In most of the races, we score points, and recently, it’s not just P10,” he told F1TV post-race. Recently, it’s not even just P10 – [It’s] P8, P9, P7, P4. So I mean, the amount of progress we’re having is so fast.”

“Obviously, its not on the level yet of Mercedes yet. But, for example, today, I was able to gain pace – or even have faster pace than one of the Mercedes. So if we continue like this, maybe at some point we can catch the P5 team. Obviously, they’re still too fast. But we never know – and that’s what we aim for.”

‘RB aim to fight with top five teams’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...op-five-teams/

Tsunoda: Miami points haul reflects RB ‘crazy progress'
    12:08 Wed, 08 May 2024.
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Sister Red Bull outfit RB doubled in Miami its best weekend points tally in 2024, a productive effort that reflects the team’s “crazy” progress this season insisted Yuki Tsunoda. On Saturday, Daniel Ricciardo concluded F1’s Sprint event an impressive fourth, which put 5 points in RB’s bag at the outset while Tsunoda collected a solitary point in the short-form race.

“The amount of points we got this week was a lot for us,” Tsunoda told the media in Miami. “It shows how much the people who work in the background [at the] factory, the amount that they're pushing. It’s incredible and we’re happy that we're able to score the points that we deserve.”

“We got a bit of upgrades this week and I think that helped a lot,” Tsunoda added. “I mean straight away from FP1 I felt comfortable and [on Saturday] Daniel was P4. Over a long stint, we got a P7 and were even faster than one of the Mercedes. So [we] never achieved [something] like this [at] the first races, the amount of progress we’re having is crazy.”

‘RB crazy progress';

https://f1i.com/news/507416-tsunoda-...-progress.html

Tsunoda brands Miami ‘incredible week’ after double points haul
    05 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

RB’s Yuki Tsunoda said he was “finally very happy” after coming home P7 in the Miami Grand Prix – his second points haul of the weekend after finishing eighth in the Saturday Sprint.

‘Incredible week’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ts...53897588870550

Tsunoda hails 'crazy' RB progress after career best start
    Yuki Tsunoda has enjoyed his strongest Formula 1 career start in 2024 as he heaps praise on the RB team for the gains it has made of late.
    7 May 8:00PM
    Fergal Walsh & Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

Yuki Tsunoda has praised the RB Formula 1 team for the progress it has made of late after his run to seventh at the Miami Grand Prix. It marked the second time this year that Tsunoda breached the top seven, having also enjoyed a strong race in Australia.

With 14 championship points to his name after the opening six rounds, it marks the strongest start to a campaign for the Japanese driver during his F1 career that commenced in 2021.

Tsunoda's run to seventh during the grand prix around the Miami International Autodrome followed his solitary point from the sprint race on Saturday - a race in which team-mate Daniel Ricciardo bagged fourth.

‘Career best start’;

https://racingnews365.com/tsunoda-ha...eer-best-start

RB drivers both delighted as they leave Miami with points in the bag
    07 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

RB have extended their lead over Haas in the battle for sixth in the constructors’ championship thanks to Yuki Tsunoda’s seventh-placed finish in Miami, which coupled with Daniel Ricciardo’s points from the Sprint have put RB into a very healthy position in the midfield fight. For Tsunoda, his continued consistent form remains a boost for the team as he scored points for a second day in a row, and for his third race in the last four.

Having also made Q3 in four out of the six race weekends so far this season, the Japanese racer has done enough to move ahead of Lance Stroll into 10th in the drivers’ standings. “Very happy, what a great job by the team,” he said afterwards. “It’s been an incredible week in which we scored in both races. We kind of expected we would have a good performance here but the most important thing is that we achieved it.

“As a team, we stuck to our plan and didn’t make any mistakes today. As for me, overall, I’m happy with my driving even though I made a mistake at the start. I reset myself and kept going, and especially in the last stint where I was just driving by myself, I was pushing and able to achieve similar lap times to the cars in front. The next race in Imola is kind of another home race for me, so I hope we’ll be able to continue our rhythm and achieve a good result in front of our home crowd.”

‘Points in the bag’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...67dH2rvPQmf1TR

Why Tsunoda could go unrewarded for his performances
    May 6, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Despite operating at a high level in 2024, Yuki Tsunoda does not have clear options to move forward in F1. In the first six rounds of the year, the 23-year-old can be credited with immense consistency and overall speed. Ordinarily, with a vacant seat at Red Bull, this would be enough to at least be in conversations for a promotion. Regrettably, this is not the case for RB’s youngster.

It was Yuki Tsunoda who delivered for RB in the main event. After climbing from P15 to P8 in the Sprint Race, he put himself into Q3 for the Grand Prix. This has become a relatively common occurrence for Tsunoda in 2024, who consistently maximises a competitive (though far from exceptional) AT04. On Sunday, he crossed the line in a brilliant P7. Solid racecraft, strong tyre management and – most importantly – pure performance secured this result. Perhaps most notably, Tsunoda created a significant gap to George Russell on his final stint.

It would take a catastrophic and, frankly, unlikely turn of events for Tsunoda’s season to be characterised as anything other than excellent. In this context, the logical next question is what prospects lie ahead. Regrettably, the path forward is not clear. Red Bull is understood to be evaluating Carlos Sainz as a serious alternative to Sergio Perez. Despite outperforming Ricciardo, the Japanese driver is not at the top of the list at Milton Keynes.

‘Credited with immense consistency and overall speed’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...-performances/

Daniel Ricciardo warned: ‘That’s the battle for his future’ after Yuki Tsunoda stars
    Daniel Ricciardo has been warned that the "battle for his future" is with Yuki Tsunoda after the pair had contrasting Sundays in Miami.
    06 May 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Daniel Ricciardo has been told to “pick himself up” as he fights for his “future in the sport” against RB teammate Yuki Tsunoda. Teammate Tsunoda starred as he qualified in the top 10, and then finished seventh in the race, beating Mercedes’ George Russell.

Analysing his weekend, 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button felt that Ricciardo was ultimately overshadowed by Tsunoda despite his impressive sprint race performance. Tsunoda's P7 finish means he moves ahead of Lance Stroll in the drivers' championship and into 10th overall.

Button acknowledged Tsunoda's improved consistency in 2024. “He’s been a lot more consistent." he added. "He’s still fiery, he’s Yuki. He’s been a lot more consistent. That was a really impressive race, seventh ahead of a Mercedes. That shows the pace of the car but also Yuki.”

‘That’s the battle for his future’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104801...-tsunoda-stars

Russell: Mercedes now ‘fighting for P5-P8 week in, week out’.
    “The lap-times and the championship don't lie, this is where we are and I think we're fighting for the P5-P8 region week in, week out.”
    09/05/2024 at 09:52
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

“McLaren qualified P17 and P18 twelve months ago in Miami, and they won, so it shows what is possible when you get things right," Russell commented after last weekend’s event. “But right now, we don't have things right and need to make changes quickly.”

“We do have a few things coming in the short-term but nothing in the short-term that is going to transform us into race winners. So it is going to be painful for a few weeks. I think we have to accept that we are the fourth fastest-team. The lap-times and the championship don't lie, this is where we are and I think we're fighting for the P5-P8 region week in, week out.”

‘Painful for a few weeks’;

https://f1i.com/news/507458-russell-...-week-out.html

‘Just have to accept’: George Russell feels McLaren showed Mercedes ‘painful’ reality at Miami GP
    Wed 8 May 2024 17:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

George Russell fears Mercedes now face a ‘painful’ few weeks after McLaren showed the reality of his team’s woes at the Miami GP as Lando Norris won his first race in F1. The Woking team had one of the slowest cars on the grid when Formula 1 visited Hard Rock Stadium in 2023. Yet McLaren overcame their early problems and the cost cap to be a front-running outfit. They also continued to improve the package to now give Norris a winning car.

Mercedes took a new floor to the 2024 Miami GP but it failed to help Russell and Hamilton rival McLaren. The Silver Arrows would have likely finished the race in P7 and P9 if Sainz had not broken Piastri’s front wing when the Ferrari driver fought with the McLaren racer for P4.

Now, the two-week gap ahead of the Emilia Romagna GP at Imola will be ‘painful’ as Russell suggests for Mercedes. McLaren have shown their engine provider what is possible by fixing the flaws in their car by winning in Miami. But the Silver Arrows are still searching for the fix.

‘Mercedes ‘painful’ reality at Miami’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/geo...y-at-miami-gp/

George Russell sends Mercedes warning after Miami: ‘It’s going to be a painful few races’
    Mercedes are set for a tough couple of races, according to George Russell.
    07 May 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

George Russell has delivered an honest assessment over Mercedes’ form in 2024, warning that the team are on course for a “painful few weeks”. Mercedes endured another underwhelming weekend at the Miami Grand Prix as Russell finished eighth, behind the RB of Yuki Tsunoda.

Mercedes introduced a significant upgrade package in Miami, particularly around the floor area, to solve their ill-handling woes. However, the team remains cut adrift of the top three - Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren - on raw performance. Reflecting on Mercedes’ struggles, Russell conceded Mercedes are set to be fighting for P5 to P8 on-track regularly in the coming rounds.

Russell remains convinced something wasn’t right with his W15. "Something just didn't feel right, the car just had no grip, no pace and I was slower than Yuki for the whole of the last stint,” he added. "It is swings and roundabouts for us at the moment, a good day is P5 and a bad day is P8, and it was a bad day so we finished P8."

‘It’s going to be a painful few races’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104803...nful-few-races

Russell reflects on ‘pretty rubbish race from start to finish’
    George Russell explained that he lost three positions on the opening lap in Miami after Sergio Perez’s off, and his day didn’t get much better from there before he eventually finished eighth.
    01:28 Mon, 06 May 2024.

‘Pretty rubbish race from start to finish’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ru...7372147214497#

George Russell left feeling "pretty rubbish" while Lewis Hamilton can't hide his delight
    Mercedes were a long way off the battle for victory again in Miami, but Lewis Hamilton secured his best Grand Prix result of the season so far while George Russell also scored points
    17:36 Mon, 06 May 2024.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Russell didn't have much positive to say about his own result after finishing eighth. He said glumly: "It was a pretty rubbish race from start to finish, in all honesty. I had a good start but when Checo [Perez] sent it down the inside, when he rejoined everybody had to check up a bit and it cost me three positions.”

"Then I just had no pace at all there on in, so I need to check the car, check the data because something didn't feel quite right. It's definitely felt like a more difficult weekend than all of the others, but the results have all really been relatively similar.”

"We are between P5 on a good day and P8 on a bad day, and today was a bad day, we finished P8. Lewis had a good day, drove really well and finished P6. It's kind of where we are."

‘Something didn't feel quite right’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...cedes-32747292

Russell warns Mercedes to be braced for 'painful' races
    George Russell was downbeat after recording his worst-finish of the 2024 season in the Miami Grand Prix.
    7 May 10:20AM
    Jake Nichol & Aaron Deckers

George Russell has told Mercedes it must be prepared for a "painful few weeks" as it continues to struggle with its W15. As for his race, Russell recorded his worst finish of 2024 in eighth place, finishing behind the RB of Yuki Tsunoda.

He described the W15 as just having "no grip" with an off-feeling in the car. "Something just didn't feel right, the car just had no grip, no pace and I was slower than Yuki for the whole of the last stint. It is swings and roundabouts for us at the moment, a good day is P5 and a bad day is P8, and it was a bad day so we finished P8."

‘Be braced for 'painful' races’;

https://racingnews365.com/russell-wa...-painful-races

Team notes: Alonso salvages Aston Martin’s weekend with two points.
    After a difficult weekend, Aston Martin left Florida with two points in their bag courtesy of Fernando Alonso's ninth-placed finish.
    21:10 Mon, 06 May 2024.
    By Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Alonso’s race was aided by a virtual safety car period. While it was a very short interruption, he found himself near the pit entry which lured him to take a “cheap” pit stop. The Spaniard then had several on-track battles, and finished in P9 to add two points to his tally.

Expanding on his issues in Miami, Alonso said: “After a difficult day yesterday, it was good to come away from this weekend with some points for the team. We got a bit lucky with the timing of the Virtual Safety Car and then the full Safety Car bunching the field up. We then took this opportunity to fit the Medium tyres. This changed our strategy a little bit and allowed us to have some good battles out there.

“I enjoyed the racing and it seems we showed a little more performance in the race than we did in Qualifying. We do have some work to do to improve our performance in the next couple of races. I am happy for Lando [Norris]. It's always special to secure your first win.”

‘Difficult weekend’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24534

Alonso reveals season-defining Aston Martin plans
    May 6, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Aston Martin has important updates planned for Imola, which Alonso describes as essential for the team’s 2024 season. Fernando Alonso has outlined that critical upgrades will arrive to the AMR24 in the near future. After a few flashes of performance, the Aston Martin is now in a relatively uninspiring position. They are fifth in the Championship, almost 100 points behind McLaren and well over 100 points behind Ferrari.

Despite introducing upgrades in Japan, it is clear they have been comprehensively outdeveloped by their rivals. Moving forward, Alonso is hopeful upgrades can rectify the situation. Aston Martin losing the development war: At this stage last year, Lawrence Stroll’s team was the closest challenger to Red Bull. Podium finishers were standard practice for Fernando Alonso.

However, their highly anticipated Canada upgrades actually made the car worse – pushing it outside its operating window. This put Aston Martin into a negative spiral, spending the majority of the season trying to correct their own mistakes. Before this season, there was optimism they could recover some of their losses. This hope is generally gone, with the AMR24 far away from contending for podiums – let alone race victories.

‘Aston Martin has important updates planned for Imola’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...-martin-plans/

‘I’ve already predicted’: Damon Hill predicts Aston Martin could replace Lance Stroll with 3-time F1 race winner
    Mon 6 May 2024 12:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Amid all of the excitement at the Miami Grand Prix, the 2024 Formula 1 driver’s market is still a big source of debate. Alonso remained at Aston Martin and Damon Hill believes that he could be joined by Carlos Sainz at the British team next season. Carlos Sainz is the highest-profile driver on the grid who doesn’t have a confirmed seat for 2025. There is still a chance that Sainz could join Red Bull next year if Christian Horner and Helmut Marko decide not to extend Sergio Perez’s contract.

No decision is expected on that for some time which doesn’t suit Sainz as he can’t hang around forever. Damon Hill believes that Aston Martin might be an option for Sainz with Lance Stroll continuing to struggle. He hasn’t scored a point in the last three race weekends and is no longer in the top ten of the Drivers’ Championship.

Damon Hill was responding to a clip from Eddie Jordan on Instagram talking about the future of the Aston Martin team. Jordan explained that he thought there would be an all-Spanish line-up in Mike Krack’s team going forward with Sainz replacing Stroll. Posting on his story, Hill said: “I’ve already predicted that E.J. Along with all other permutations.” Lance Stroll hasn’t technically been signed up by Aston Martin beyond 2024, although it’s still very hard to see his rolling contract come to an end.

‘I’ve already predicted’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/dam...1-race-winner/

Alonso admits he was “not driving well the whole weekend” in Miami
    6th May 2024, 0:01
    Written by Keith Collantine

In the round-up: Fernando Alonso owned up to a sub-par performance after finishing ninth in the Miami Grand Prix. Alonso salvaged two points from ninth on the grid in Miami, but admitted it was not one of his best weekends.

“We were struggling this weekend,” he told the official F1 channel. “We didn’t find the set-up, we didn’t find the speed, and me personally I was not driving well the whole weekend.”

“I was just not extracting the maximum in qualifying or the sprint. Yesterday, also, I didn’t put a perfect lap together. Today was a good race, but nothing spectacular. So we need to come back stronger. We have ups and downs, definitely Miami was one of the downs. But even with that, two points, we’ll take it.”

‘Fernando Alonso owned up to a sub-par performance’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/06/...nd-up-06-05-7/

‘I was not driving well the whole weekend’ admits Alonso after P9 in Miami
    05 May 2024

He still managed to grab two points for Aston Martin with his ninth-place finish, but Fernando Alonso was brutally honest about his own performance and said “we need to improve for Imola”.

‘Brutally honest’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/i-...54276452921828

The bitter pill Aston Martin have to swallow
    May 7, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Aston Martin was the feel-good story of the paddock last season, but the situation at Silverstone has worsened significantly. Although making conclusions from pre-season testing is never easy, the consensus in late February was that Aston Martin was the fourth or fifth-fastest team.

Six rounds later, this assessment seems accurate of the AMR24. Fernando Alonso has occasionally given the Ferrari and McLaren duo something to worry about, but Aston’s race pace is a limiting factor. Despite last year’s incredible jump over winter, the team faces a harsh reality in 2024.

Despite Dan Fallows insisting over winter that the team learned from its mistakes, it seems clear that Aston has lost crucial time. After spending almost six months trying to undo their own mistakes, they fell to fifth-fastest in 2023. This is a position they have kept, with McLaren and Ferrari showing far more encouraging development trajectories. Just last weekend in Miami, McLaren showed a significant improvement in their drag. The MCL38 was far more competitive in a straight line, eliminating one of the Woking outfit’s biggest weaknesses.

‘The bitter pill’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ve-to-swallow/

Gritty Ocon delivers first point to Alpine after intense Miami GP.
    Esteban Ocon’s tenacious efforts in last weekend’s Miami Grand Prix secured a crucial 10th place finish that finally put the Frenchman and Alpine on F1’s 2024 championship board.
    17:18 Tue, 07 May 2024.
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

The elation was evident in Ocon's post-race comments. Ocon's strategic gamble paid off later in the race. A well-timed pit stop under a Virtual Safety Car allowed him to jump ahead and claim P10 and the final point on offer, just one second ahead of Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg.

"What a race!" exclaimed the 24-year-old, acknowledging the intense effort required throughout. “110 per cent intensity the whole way through – every lap was a massive push. We can't be 100 per cent satisfied because it's just one point.”

“We need to keep doing these baby steps forward but, looking at where we were in Bahrain [17th and 18th], well done to the team for keeping on the belief, keeping the motivation going and improving the car step by step, because today finally we come out of a weekend with some reward.”

‘Ocon's strategic gamble’;

https://f1i.com/news/507394-gritty-o...-miami-gp.html

'What a race' – Ocon overjoyed to score Alpine’s first point of the season in Miami

07 May 2024

Alpine have finally kickstarted their 2024 points tally after Esteban Ocon ended the Miami Grand Prix in 10th place, leaving the Frenchman thrilled that the team now have “some reward” following a tough start to the campaign.

With Ocon and team mate Pierre Gasly starting from 12th and 13th on the grid, the pair engaged in a close wheel-to-wheel battle during the opening lap of the race before Gasly eventually came out on top.

However, it was Ocon who later got ahead after benefitting from a Virtual Safety Car period to make a quick pit stop before going on to claim the final point on offer in P10, crossing the line just one second ahead of Nico Hulkenberg in P11. “What a race,” a beaming Ocon commented afterwards. “110 per cent intensity the whole way through – every lap was a massive push. We can’t be 100 per cent satisfied because it’s just one point.”

'What a race';

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...cce7QBBVteFdIV

OCON ADMITS MIAMI GP WAS ‘MASSIVE PUSH’ AS ALPINE HIT A SEASON MILESTONE
    Ocon has suggested that the Miami Grand Prix was one of the first times Alpine could fight at a race in 2024
    May 6, 2024
    Oliver Brindle
    FormulaNerds

The result launches them off the bottom of the Constructors’ Championship table, boosting them to six points behind Haas in eighth. Ocon started the race in 13th, with Gasly one place higher in 12th. The Alpine pairing had a battle early on, with Ocon coming out on top.

The Frenchman admitted that despite the positive result, they “can’t be 100% satisfied” and must continue to make “steps” forward. Alpine’s upturn in form is due to the upgrades they bought for one car at The Chinese Grand Prix. Ocon finished 11th, just missing out on the points. The French manufacturer came to the Miami GP with two upgraded cars, doubling their chances of a car in the points.

‘MASSIVE PUSH’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/oc...son-milestone/

Martin Brundle says Esteban Ocon did something he ‘never thought’ he would see during Miami Grand Prix
    Mon 6 May 2024 17:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

The Miami Grand Prix was full of drama with Lando Norris finally recording his first Formula 1 victory after 110 attempts. However, there were plenty of extraordinary storylines up and down the paddock in The Magic City.

As the two Alpine drivers went through the tight chicane side-by-side on the first lap, Croft said: “The two Alpines are really going for it here, [Pierre] Gasly on the inside and Esteban Ocon gets squeezed a bit by his teammate! Ocon goes down the inside, forces his teammate towards the wall, somehow Gasly stayed away from it and they are still going wheel-to-wheel down that back straight.”

Brundle: “What? I never thought I’d see two Formula 1 cars going through turns 13, 14, 15 and 16 side-by-side!” Watching a replay, Brundle added: “Look at this pair, they just don’t give up against each other, do they? I fully expected those two to be bundled into the wall together a la Australia or Baku last year.”

‘Towards the wall’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/mar...mi-grand-prix/

Ocon boosted by new Alpine signing David Sanchez as Gasly expects ex-Ferrari man to be ‘full of ideas’
    09 May 2024

Alpine drivers Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly have expressed their excitement at working with the team’s latest high-profile signing, David Sanchez, who recently joined the operation in a newly-created role of Executive Technical Director.

Sanchez will oversee Alpine’s restructured technical department, with Ciaron Pilbeam (Technical Director – Performance), Joe Burnell (Technical Director – Engineering), and David Wheater (Technical Director – Aerodynamics) all reporting to him.

The French engineer started his F1 career at Enstone in 2005 as a junior aerodynamicist, when the team was known as Renault, before moving to Ferrari and spending some 10 years at Maranello, where he led their aerodynamics department and later worked as Head of Vehicle Concept.

‘Ex-Ferrari man to be ‘full of ideas’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...SqCQf89c0TkJnh

Sacked F1 boss aims fresh dig at Ryan Reynolds' F1 team after Miami Grand Prix
    Alpine claimed their first point of the 2024 campaign at the Miami Grand Prix, but they are still receiving stick from within the paddock.
    10:41, Thu, May 9, 2024
    By Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Assessing Ocon’s point on the streets of Miami on the RacingNews365 podcast, Szafnauer said: “For me, that’s not a lot. Last year, when [we had] all those seniors that have now left, I think we scored six points.

“We left Miami with six points in the bag, we went to Monaco and I think in Monaco we scored 24 [21] points. They’re struggling, I can’t see them doing what McLaren have done. Going to Monaco and scoring 24 points this year, or Imola? I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

‘That’s not a lot’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ami-Grand-Prix

Otmar Szafnauer aims fresh dig at Alpine despite Esteban Ocon’s points finish in Miami
    Wed 8 May 2024 08:30
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Alpine have endured a largely miserable start to the 2024 Formula 1 season. And many would trace their current woes back to last summer. In July, the team sacked CEO Laurent Rossi, team principal Otmar Szafnauer and sporting director Alan Permane. Predictably, the departure of three of the most senior figures sparked an exodus.

Otmar Szafnauer far from impressed with Alpine despite first points. Speaking on the Racing News 365 podcast, Szafnauer offered his verdict on an improved showing for Alpine and Ocon in Miami. He doesn’t believe it’s anything to get excited about.

He pointed out that, at the same stage last year, they were scoring a podium at the Monaco Grand Prix. And he doesn’t expect to see the team produce the kind of McLaren-esque turnaround that could see them scoring big results later in the season.

‘Far from impressed’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/otm...nish-in-miami/

Ill-gotten gains be damned, Kevin Magnussen is winning the game of millions for Haas.
    Ill-gotten as rivals may feel those points are, they have elevated Haas to seventh place in the Constructors’ Championship and that’s millions worth fighting for, even fighting dirty.
    07 May 2024 9:00 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

The scorecard may read one point for Kevin Magnussen but an in-depth dive shows he is responsible for half of his team-mate Nico Hulkenberg’s six. Cast your minds back to Jeddah, the Grand Prix in which Haas did what four of their rivals had not done at the time – score a point.

Magnussen played the team game for all he was worth that Sunday as he took up the role of protector to Hulkenberg and bollard to Yuki Tsunoda. Stopping the RB driver from passing, even if it meant knowingly incurring a penalty for leaving the track to stay ahead, Magnussen also slowed his pace to give Hulkenberg the chance to build up a gap.

Tsunoda decried it as “unfair”, but as Magnussen put it, it was “good teamwork”. The stewards didn’t throw the book at Magnussen for his negative tactics, although James Vowles said that’s “not how” F1 should go racing and called for a review. He was one of several voicing that concern.

‘Ill-gotten gains be damned’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/ke...lions-for-haas

Hulkenberg on P11: ‘I don’t think we could have done anything different or better’
    05 May 2024

Nico Hulkenberg finished just one place outside the points in the Miami Grand Prix – but said afterwards there was nothing he could have done to sneak into the top 10.

‘P11’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/hu...53733768714649

Haas F1 Driver Nico Hulkenberg Sets Formula 1 Record for Futility
    Miami Grand Prix marked record number of starts without F1 victory.
    MAY 06, 2024 10:59 AM EDT
    PHILLIP HORTON
    AutoWeek

The 36-year-old Hulkenberg’s Miami appearance was his 209th Formula 1 start, taking him beyond previous record holder Andrea de Cesaris, who started 208 races between 1980 and 1994. Hulkenberg finished 11th at Miami. His best finish in 2024 so far is ninth at Melbourne.

De Cesaris at least managed five podiums during his career, with veteran Hulkenberg still pursuing his maiden top-three finish in Formula 1. Hulkenberg began his F1 career in 2010.

‘Formula 1 Record for Futility’;

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...cord-futility/

Hulkenberg takes hold of unwanted F1 record
    Nico Hulkenberg is one of the most experienced drivers on the grid - but with his lack of success at the front of the field, he has now claimed an unwanted record.
    10 May 12:15PM
    Gerd Jansen
    RacingNews365

With his 209th grand prix start at the Miami Grand Prix last weekend, Nico Hulkenberg found himself taking an unwanted Formula 1 record.

Driver Grand Prix Best result
    1 Nico Hulkenberg 209 4th
    2 Andrea De Cesaris 208 2nd
    3 Nick Heidfeld 183 2nd
    4 Romain Grosjean 179 2nd
    5 Kevin Magnussen 168 2nd
    6 Martin Brundle 158 2nd
    7 Lance Stroll 148 3rd
    8 Derek Warwick 146 2nd
    9 Jean-Pierre Jarier 134 3rd
    10 Eddie Cheveer 132 2nd

Throughout his career, which began in 2010, Hulkenberg has not managed to reach the top step of the podium, or even a place inside the top three

‘Unwanted F1 record’;

https://racingnews365.com/hulkenberg...wanted-f1-list

Hulkenberg eager for more Haas upgrades to ‘edge us ahead again’ after points near-miss in Miami GP
    08 May 2024

Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg has set his sights on another package of updates at the upcoming Imola round after narrowly missing out on a points finish in Sunday’s Miami Grand Prix.

Asked whether it feels like some momentum is building at Haas, given his string of early-season points finishes, he added: “There’s definitely some, for sure.”

“In Imola we’re going to get some more upgrades to complete that kind of package that we were building since Shanghai, so hopefully those can edge us a little bit ahead again and put us a little bit closer to the RBs, because they look really strong at the moment.”

‘More Haas upgrades’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...nyYDpYIuUyVRFF

Hulkenberg reveals Haas upgrade plan ahead of Imola
    American outfit is hard at work behind the scenes aiming to capitalise on its competitive start to 2024
    May 8, 2024
    James Phillips
    FormulaNerds

Haas and Nico Hulkenberg have started 2024 on a high, marking a stark contrast from their performance last year. After a season with no points in 2023, the team has surged to P7 in the standings with seven points. Haas is now six points ahead of Alpine, with Williams and Sauber yet to score.

Haas is not taking its new-found midfield competitiveness for granted. With momentum building, Hulkenberg revealed the team plans to bring upgrades for the VF-24 to Imola. The upgrades, Hulkenberg says, will complete the work started on the car earlier in the season:

“In Imola, we’re going to get some more upgrades to complete that kind of package that we were building since Shanghai, so hopefully those can edge us a little bit ahead again and put us a little bit closer to the RBs, because they look really strong at the moment.”

‘Upgrade plan ahead of Imola’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/hu...head-of-imola/

Hulkenberg reveals 'driving factor' behind Audi F1 decision
    Nico Hulkenberg has penned a multi-year extension with the Audi Formula 1 team and will depart Haas at the end of the current season.
    9 May 10:25AM
    Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

Nico Hulkenberg has revealed Audi F1 CEO Andreas Seidl was the “driving factor” behind his decision to join the German manufacturer's project. Seidl, who formerly held the team principal role at McLaren, was appointed to the Audi F1 CEO role earlier this year.

When asked if his German compatriot was a factor in his decision to join, Hulkenberg told media including RacingNews365: “Yeah [and] he's also the driving factor there. One of the deciders, one of the top key people in the management at Audi. So, of course, it came through him. And he's a very direct and straightforward guy with me.”

'Driving factor';

https://racingnews365.com/hulkenberg...di-f1-decision

Nico Hulkenberg set for massive salary rise as Audi’s F1 entry plans go ‘full throttle’
    09 May 2024 6:45 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Nico Hulkenberg is reportedly in line for a massive salary boost when he arrives at Sauber for the F1 2025 season as Audi’s entry plans go “full throttle.” Audi are stepping up their plans for their highly anticipated F1 2026 entry, when the German manufacturer will officially take control of the existing Sauber team.

And in an indication of the lengths Audi are willing to go to secure their top targets, a report by German publication Bild has claimed Hulkenberg is poised to earn €5million per season from 2025. That is said to be a considerable improvement on the €2m per year he currently earns at Haas, with whom he returned to the grid in F1 2023 after a three-year absence.

‘Massive salary rise’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-h...salary-audi-f1

‘How long will it last’: Steiner thinks ‘risk’ was ‘greater’ if Hulkenberg joined 2 F1 teams over Sauber
    Tue 7 May 2024 17:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Guenther Steiner thinks the ‘risk’ would have been ‘greater’ if departing Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg had signed with two rival Formula 1 teams over Sauber from 2025. The 36-year-old sealed a switch from Haas to Sauber for next year by signing a three-year contract with Audi. Hulkenberg sought a move to Hinwil, Switzerland on a long-term deal as Audi will take Sauber over in 2026. Audi has bought 100% of the team to have a works entry.

Steiner concedes the ‘risk’ would have been ‘greater’ if Hulkenberg joined Mercedes or Red Bull over leaving Haas for Sauber and Audi’s project. The German could have especially been left to wonder how long he would have lasted in Brackley as Hamilton’s replacement.

“I think so,” Steiner said, via Sport.de. “Then the risk would have been greater for Nico that it might not work out. You don’t know exactly what will happen. Will Max stay or not? What will happen at Mercedes? And if he gets a Mercedes contract, how long will it last?”

‘How long will it last’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/ste...s-over-sauber/

Gasly to 'keep chipping away' after 'best result of the season so far' in Miami.
    After finishing P9 in the Sprint and then qualifying P12 for the 2024 Miami Grand Prix, Alpine driver Pierre Gasly says he's "happy" with the upgrades the team have brought to Florida.
    04 May 2024

'Keep chipping away';

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ga...58786735574416

Pierre Gasly: Upgrades 'a step in the right direction' but Alpine 'still a bit on the back foot'
    02 May 2024

Following the team's successful deployment of their upgrades on Esteban Ocon's car in China, Pierre Gasly will have the new floor and chassis on his Alpine for this weekend's Miami Grand Prix.

'A step in the right direction';

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/pi...63554328867435

What next for Pierre Gasly? His main F1 2025 request may concern Alpine
    29 Apr 2024 12:30 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Out of contract with Alpine at the end of this season, Pierre Gasly has told the French team he just wants a “competitive car”, nothing more, nothing less. Swapping the Red Bull family for Alpine last season, Gasly had a solid if not spectacular season with his new team but it was one that promised better results were ahead.

On that, Alpine have yet to deliver. Overweight and sluggish in the early rounds, even the introduction of a lighter chassis in China failed to produce the points-scoring result that the team wanted. So much so that Gasly is being linked to rival teams, Williams said to be heading the list. He, though, has just one requirement as he contemplates his future.

“The most important thing for me at the moment is that I’m in a competitive car,” the 2020 Italian GP winner said as per motorsport-magazin. “And I want this competitive car with Alpine, because that’s what I signed for two years ago. I joined the team when it was in fourth place with the clear goal of getting closer to the top three. That was clearly the trigger and motivation for me.”

‘Main F1 2025 request’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/what-n...request-alpine

Pierre Gasly “in negotiations” with Williams as F1 driver market hots up
    Pierre Gasly could move to Williams, according to David Croft.
    25 Apr 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Sky Sports F1 commentator David Croft has suggested that Pierre Gasly has started negotiations with Williams over a possible switch for the 2025 F1 season. “Gasly might find himself at Williams. I am sure he’s been in negotiations with Williams to drive alongside Alex Albon.”

“In negotiations”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104736...er-market-hots

Williams reportedly in talks with Gasly, Bottas for 2025
    May 3, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Reports are increasingly emerging about early contract talks behind the scenes at Williams. The Grove-based team is understandably assessing its options in the market. With so many drivers currently free agents, the British outfit has an opportunity to improve its driver line-up. Of course, James Vowles and his personnel are still waiting to see if Logan Sargeant can progress.

Pierre Gasly and Valtteri Bottas are mentioned as potential targets for the British outfit. Both drivers are experienced and proven in Formula 1, enjoying several podium finishes and race victories between them. For different reasons, they will be holding conversations with projects throughout the grid.

With Alex Albon establishing himself as the team’s benchmark, James Vowles has a chance to strengthen the team’s driver combination. In such a competitive midfield, Williams is logically taking steps to keep up with increasingly well-funded and ambitious rivals.

‘Williams reportedly in talks’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ttas-for-2025/

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post

Sainz may be getting nervous about 2025 seat
    MAY 8, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

As for Sainz's chances at Mercedes, Toto Wolff is openly waiting to see if Max Verstappen might suddenly emerge on the market. But Wolff denied that he is grooming 17-year-old Kimi Antonelli for the 2025 seat - perhaps beginning with an immediate leap into F1 with Williams.

“Why would you apply for a dispensation for a super license if you don't want to let him race?” wonders Dutch broadcaster Olav Mol. “Why let him do a qualifying and race simulation at Imola”? he added, referring to Antonelli's recent outing in the 2022 Mercedes. “When the team bosses start denying, you know it's true”, Mol laughed.

‘Getting nervous’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/sainz...2025-seat.html
    I don't see Verstappen joining Mercedes unless Newey goes there which has also a very low probability.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

8. Likes: Fortitude (Yesterday)
    Oscar Piastri's race ruined because of crash at Miami Grand Prix as teammate Lando Norris takes shock maiden victory.
    The Aussie was in third position at the end of the first lap and looked like he might podium, but damaged his front wing and was forced to pit for a replacement.
    6 May 2024
    James Cooney For Daily Mail Australia
    MailOnline

Norris began fifth, with pacy teammate Piastri the McLaren driver who looked most likely to upset the field, but a Safety Car at the midway point played well into the Briton's hands. Piastri finished well out of the points in 13th after a collision with Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz.

‘Race ruined’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ictory-F1.html

Piastri takes away ‘a lot of positives’ from eventful Miami GP
    06 May 2024.
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

While his Miami Grand Prix ended outside the points zone, McLaren’s Oscar Piastri believed that there were “definitely a lot of positives” to take away from his eventful afternoon of racing. “Definitely a lot of positives to come from today,” Piastri commented after the race. “For both of us, the car was really strong.”

“For Lando, to win the race on pace and to pull away from Max [Verstappen] after the Safety Car, I think that's a very, very encouraging sign. So very happy for him and for the whole team. I think we deserve it. Our trajectory in the last 12 months has been towards this moment.”

“Even with the car that I had, I think we were very strong as well. Excited for Imola.” Indeed, Piastri’s MCL38 was not equipped with the full upgrade package implemented on Norris’ car in Miami.

‘Positives’;

https://f1i.com/news/507301-piastri-...-miami-gp.html

Piastri left with mixed emotions after race ‘unravels’ in Miami while Norris takes victory
    06 May 2024
    Formula1.com

Oscar Piastri endured mixed fortunes at the Miami Grand Prix, with the Australian enjoying a strong start to the race before the timing of the Safety Car and a collision with Carlos Sainz dropped him down to a final result of P13 – on the day his team mate Lando Norris took his maiden F1 win.

“I think we did a lot of things right in the first half of the race,” Piastri reflected after the event. "A bit unfortunate with the Safety Car timing obviously, and then [it] just kind of unravelled from there. Obviously a really good day for the team, they deserved to have both cars up there.”

“But yeah, a really encouraging day in terms of the pace and obviously to get a win on pace. [There was] a little bit of good fortune involved but Lando had the pace after, which I think is incredibly encouraging. So overall mixed emotions, but very, very happy for the team.”

‘Mixed emotions’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...gRAHRd1yX1yNvk

Zak Brown ‘sure’ of McLaren F1 replacement for Lando Norris or Oscar Piastri
    8 May 2024
    Kyle Archer
    McLaren CEO Zak Brown is ‘sure’ his Formula 1 team already have the perfect driver in line to replace Lando Norris or Oscar Piastri if either star ever wanted to leave Woking. “Well, right now we’ve got two drivers we’re extremely happy with,” Brown noted. “I don’t think [paying a team to run O’Ward] is necessary because I think IndyCar is so competitive.”

“I don’t see any reason why he can’t continue to race in IndyCar, win us a lot of races [and] hopefully win us a championship, Indy 500 and on and on. And if the opportunity presents itself, he’s in our TPC, our test car, he’s doing free practice ones, he did the young driver test.”

“So, I feel he’s very prepared to hop into our Formula 1 car if the opportunity presents itself. I don’t think we need to put him in another team to get a lot more experience because, also, the opportunity might not ever come.”

‘F1 replacement’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/zak...oscar-piastri/

McLaren: Piastri compromised by limited upgrades in Miami
    May 8, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Oscar Piastri left the Miami GP empty-handed, although McLaren factors beyond his control compromised his chances. It was Lando Norris who crossed the chequered flag in Miami to claim victory in the MCL38. Teammate Oscar Piastri failed to score points on Sunday, with a series of unfortunate events ultimately costing the Australian. Aside from his skirmishes with Carlos Sainz, the 23-year-old was fundamentally held back by the MCL38 available to him in Florida.

With slightly kinder Safety Car timing, the Australian could have left the sixth round of the F1 season with much more. Despite this, Andrea Stella has outlined the impressiveness of the youngster’s efforts: “I think Oscar is even more aware of his strengths as a driver after this weekend,” motorsport-total quotes him as saying.

“We already knew how fast he is on one lap. Considering he didn’t have the full package, I have to give Oscar credit that the gap to Lando in qualifying was smaller than the difference of the package that he had. He really delivered a strong performance over a single lap under very difficult conditions.”

‘Compromised by limited upgrades’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ades-in-miami/

Analysis: Piastri secures third career fastest lap in Miami
    9 May 2024
    By Balazs Szabo
    F1Technical.net

Despite not scoring any points in Florida, McLaren's Oscar Piastri displayed eye-catching pace both in qualifying and race trim, and also set the quickest lap of the Miami Grand Prix.

“The car felt the best it’s been all year,” said Piastri. “A great day for the team, but a disappointing afternoon on my side. I feel like we did a lot of things right in the first half of the race, but a few things didn’t go our way in the second half.” The safety car that was deployed on lap 29, immediately after Piastri’s one and only pit stop, dropped him back to fourth place. At the restart, he had to fend off an aggressive Carlos Sainz.

At one point, Piastri pushed the Spaniard off the track while defending his position. On lap 39, Sainz drifted into turn 17 and ran over the McLaren front wing. As a result, the Aussie had to stop for repairs. On a set of new Mediums, he returned to the track at the back of the field where a points finish was now out of reach. Despite setting a strong pace – including the DHL Fastest Lap of 1:30.634 – he could only claw his way back to P13 before the chequered flag fell. Consequently, his fastest time did not even earn him the customary bonus point.

‘Third career fastest lap’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24540

McLaren reveals how Piastri out-performed Norris in Miami
    McLaren has revealed that Lando Norris' win in the Miami Grand Prix masked an impressive performance for Oscar Piastri.
    10 May 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Both McLaren drivers had upgrades, though Piastri only half the package fitted to his team-mate. That he managed to out-qualify Norris in the Sprint, and effectively match him in qualifying the race, caught the eye of team boss Andrea Stella. “Oscar comes out of [Miami] even more conscious of his strengths as a driver,” he said.

“We sort of knew already how fast he is on a single lap. Consider that he didn't have the full package – and let me pay proper credit to Oscar, the gap he had to Lando in qualifying is smaller than the difference of the package he had. So he was really pulling off strong performance over a single lap in very difficult conditions, like all drivers with soft tyres.”

‘Piastri out-performed Norris’;

https://speedcafe.com/mclaren-reveal...rris-in-miami/

McLaren reveal hidden Oscar Piastri data that will alert Lando Norris
    12 May 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Miami GP winner Lando Norris benefitted from the full McLaren MCL38 upgrade package, but it turns out that team-mate Oscar Piastri neutralised that advantage and then some over one lap.

While Norris would steal the headlines in Miami by becoming a Formula 1 race winner for the first time, it was his team-mate Piastri that shone in the first stint, the Aussie keeping the pressure on race leader Max Verstappen, who had been chasing a fifth win of the season.

‘Hidden Piastri data’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...o-norris-miami

McLaren boss praises ‘team player’ Piastri
    Andrea Stella has praised Oscar Piastri for his willingness to put the team ahead of his own ambitions.
    12 May 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

It's not the first time the Australian has been forced to wait for components, Norris having also been preferred for the debut of what essentially amounted to a b-spec car in Austria last year. But the 23-year-old's reaction was telling, according to Stella.

“He also comes off of [Miami] having proven once again how strong a team player he is,” he said of Piastri. “Clearly, when I told him, ‘Oscar, we are going to give the sidepods and the floor to Lando', he wasn't the happiest, you know, in the bottom of his heart.”

“But at no point, he made this decision difficult. At no point, he said like, ‘Oh, but why?' He understood the reasoning and he was immediately supportive, like all the entourage around Oscar. So, I think he comes away with a lot of positives.”

‘Stella has praised Oscar Piastri’;

https://speedcafe.com/mclaren-boss-p...layer-piastri/

Zhou Guanyu reportedly under consideration at Haas.
    Zhou Guanyu and his team are working to secure a seat in F1, with reports suggesting that Haas is an option.
    May 12, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

After a strong performance in Bahrain to claim P11, Zhou Guanyu has failed to take the next step and score points. Sauber still suffers from a variety of limitations, ranging from a lack of pace to slow pit stops. The largely uncompetitive nature of the C44 makes it difficult for either Zhou or Bottas to make their case in the F1 market. However, there seem to be options available to the Chinese driver.

Over the last two seasons, Zhou and teammate Valtteri Bottas have performed at a solid level. Last season, for example, their well-executed race in Qatar lifted Sauber from 10th to 9th in the standings. The year prior, the Hinwil-based team clung onto an impressive 6th in the standings.

Despite this, Sauber is now a very different team. Audi now has complete control of the team, with the German manufacturer looking to impose itself on decision-making. The arrival of Nico Hulkenberg last month was the culmination of Audi’s long-standing interest in his services. The 36-year-old has confirmed that CEO Andreas Seidl was central in this eventual agreement.

‘Under consideration at Haas’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ation-at-haas/

Zhou caught off-guard by Stake F1's Hulkenberg swoop
    Zhou Guanyu has conceded he was not expecting the news that Nico Hulkenberg will be joining Stake F1, but believes the team remains an option for him and team-mate Valtteri Bottas for next season.
    2 May 2024.
    Samuel Coop & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Zhou admitted that news of Hulkenberg joining came as a surprise, with the Chinese driver not expecting it to come as early as it did. "The whole announcement, it's a bit more early than I expected, but it doesn't really change my approach," Zhou responded to media including RacingNews365 when Nico Hulkenberg joining Stake F1 for 2025 was brought up.

"I just try to focus on my job with the current team, to prove myself and give it everything I have, for my future. Of course, we're looking at different options, to see what was the best. We didn't really get much involvement with Nico [Hulkenberg], so I can't really say much about the other seat available for this team.”

All I can say is I think Andreas Seidl is looking at all different options, including me and Valtteri [Bottas]. Of course, here [Stake F1] is a place that can be possible for the future, for next year." Zhou narrowly missed out on his first points of the season at the previous race, the Chinese Grand Prix. Having qualified in the top 10 for the sprint at his home event, he crossed the line in ninth, one place outside the points-paying positions.

‘Zhou caught off-guard’;

https://racingnews365.com/zhou-caugh...lkenberg-swoop

Zhou details what he needs to do in order to remain in F1
    The Chinese driver picked up his best result of 2024 so far last time out at his home race
    April 30, 2024
    Darius Needham
    FormulaNerds

Zhou Guanyu has revealed what things he needs to do in order to remain in the sport as he hopes to enjoy a “long career” in Formula 1. It was a weekend to remember for Zhou nearly a fortnight ago as he became the first Chinese driver to race at the Shanghai International Circuit in F1.

Zhou slightly missed out on the top eight in the Sprint Race after finishing in an impressive P9. In the Grand Prix itself, it was reliability and pace which let the team down as Bottas would retire from the race and Zhou could only muster P14.

Despite these results, Zhou had won the hearts of the Chinese people and F1 fans around the world with his performances over the three days. He is now hoping to improve over the course of the season as he looks to keep his seat for 2025. “From my side, I think we just focus on that, and hopefully it’s not going to be the only one, because I’m planning hopefully to stay here as long as I could. Everybody loves to be having a long career in Formula 1, that’s where we dream to be.”

‘Zhou details what he needs to do’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/zh...-remain-in-f1/

‘One thing is clear’ – Audi make big decision on Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu – report
    11 May 2024 10:00 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

German publication Sport Bild claims the team’s mind is already made up on their current line-up. The report writes: “It remains to be seen who will be Hülkenberg’s team-mate. One thing is clear: neither the expiring contract of Valtteri Bottas (34) nor that of Zhou Guanyu (24) will be extended.”

“In the case of both drivers, those responsible around boss [Andreas] Seidl are not convinced that they can fulfil Audi’s ambition: to establish themselves among the top teams, such as Red Bull and Mercedes, and compete for world championships.”

Both Zhou and Bottas have expressed a desire to secure their futures in the sport sooner rather than later if they can, and while Zhou is keen to lock down a multi-year contract either with Sauber or elsewhere if he can.

‘One thing is clear’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/audi-f...ecision-report

Bottas hopes Miami ‘an outlier’ for Kick Sauber as Zhou laments ‘real struggle’ all weekend
    08 May 2024

Zhou shared similar thoughts to Bottas as he rose from 19th to 14th, expressing particular frustration at losing a chunk of time to the cars ahead while getting stuck behind Alex Albon’s Williams.

“It was actually not too bad for us [with the Safety Car], but the only thing is that we went for softs, so we had almost 30 laps on softs and they fall off,” he commented. “I think the issue was that we lacked some top speed against Alex and I couldn’t really pass him on the straights, so the whole race was really compromised.”

Asked if he also felt the event was an ‘outlier’ for the team, Zhou said: “It’s very clear this weekend both cars it’s been a real struggle. We tried to play a lot with different set-ups during Friday and Saturday but both didn’t seem to work. On the other side, I think a lot of the competitors brought upgrades for the last few races and we still have similar to what we had a few races ago. I’m sure in Imola we can make a step and it’s a question of how much.”

‘Both cars it’s been a real struggle’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...B1EOvzkLzuo6AX

Ricciardo pinpoints Miami GP undoing.
    Daniel Ricciardo has pinpointed where he feels his Miami Grand Prix unravelled. Ricciardo starred during Sprint Qualifying to start the short-form race fourth, finishing there on Saturday. However, he could not carry that form into qualifying proper as he set just the 17th best time.
    6 May 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

“Coming into a race, I'm always hopeful and optimistic and excited, but I think we're quickly met with the reality that it's not the same when we're in traffic,” Ricciardo explained. “Obviously yesterday I was able to use the pace and had a clear track and just use the downforce and the grip of the car, but today, in these battles and with dirty air, we struggle.”

Ricciardo spent much of the opening stint stuck behind Kevin Magnussen's Haas as he made little impact on the race. “I think a lot of the cars the race had a lot of downforce, so trying to attack and defend was simply just not a straightforward one for us,” Ricciardo explained of his race. “It just goes back to qualifying. It's so important.”

“Obviously, yesterday, I was upset with the grip I had on that set of tyres and obviously, I still feel that way, but also, I'll always look at myself as well. I was like, yeah, I could have still done a little bit better here and there, so I'll still hold myself accountable for sessions like that. We're quick, but we're not quick enough to start at the back and chop through the field, we're just simply not, so we've got to qualify better.”

‘Miami Grand Prix unravelled’;

https://speedcafe.com/ricciardo-pinp...mi-gp-undoing/

Miami showed Ricciardo “back in great form” – Mekies
    10th May 2024, 0:01
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

After Daniel Ricciardo drove his RB to his first points of the season in the Miami Grand Prix sprint race last weekend, RB team principal Laurent Mekies says his team’s senior driver is “back in great form”. Ricciardo qualified fourth on the grid in sprint race qualifying and finished there, securing five points for RB. Team mate Yuki Tsunoda added another seven across the sprint race and the grand prix.

“It was particularly gratifying to see Daniel back in great form, demonstrating the skills and determination we know have always been there,” Mekies said. “Unfortunately, he started on the back foot on Sunday from P20. In the second stint, he got stuck in traffic and could not move up the order and had to settle for P15.

“As for Yuki, his fourth Q3 appearance out of six races this season underlines how consistently he is performing and today, he underlined his maturity with an intelligent, yet aggressive and super quick drive from tenth on the grid to seventh at the flag.”

“Back in great form”;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/10/...nd-up-10-05-7/

RB still in the dark over Daniel Ricciardo struggles after breakthrough Miami GP performance
    10 May 2024 8:00 PM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

RB team principal Laurent Mekies said the improved performance of Daniel Ricciardo will have lifted a “huge weight” in Miami, but the team are still unsure what was “disturbing” his performances before that weekend. Mekies explained that Ricciardo’s performances have been “very difficult to explain” given the nature of his results, but the signs have been there from within that a strong result was on its way.

“I’m sure it was a huge weight [off his shoulders] because the US is nearly his second home race,” Mekies said to Motorsport.com. “He did it in style with an incredible defence to Carlos [Sainz] and the McLaren [of Oscar Piastri]. It was a fantastic moment for him. In fairness, we had seen signs of improvement before, but it was very difficult to explain it to the world.”

“Saudi was a better performance than Bahrain, Australia was better than Saudi, Japan was better than Australia and China was better than Japan. It had been coming in many, many small steps and we think there is more steps we can do in the next few races to help suit the car better to him.”

‘RB still in the dark’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel...sunderstanding

Daniel Ricciardo lands new job alongside F1 as Aussie fights for his future
    Daniel Ricciardo is fighting to continue his F1 career on the track, but the popular Aussie has a new venture in his personal life.
    09:09, Thu, May 9, 2024
    By Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Daniel Ricciardo has teamed up with writers and showrunners Alec Berg and Adam Countee, serving as an executive producer for Hulu’s new comedy series, Downforce. The Aussie will bring his expertise to the new show, which is set in the world of F1.

Ricciardo’s new gig marks the continuation of the trend of F1 drivers getting involved with Hollywood. Lewis Hamilton has already been serving as an executive producer on the currently untitled film starring Brad Pitt and Damson Idris.

While the concept of an F1 driver working on a major motion picture seems like a confusing match, Hamilton explained the role in an interview with GQ Magazine. “My point was: Guys, this movie needs to be so authentic,” he said.

‘Daniel Ricciardo lands new job’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...o-F1-Downforce

Helmut Marko responds to “nonsense” Ricciardo rumours
    May 10, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Red Bull addresses Ricciardo and Lawson’s rumours. Speaking after the Miami GP, Helmut Marko has utterly rejected any suggestions that Red Bull were going to replace Ricciardo in Imola:

“The rumours that Ricciardo will be replaced by Liam Lawson at Imola are nonsense,” he insists. “Liam’s manager from New Zealand was there, apparently he has certain dreams and they are made known through some media – including from New Zealand. Nothing at all is planned in Imola.”

“Nonsense”;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...awson-rumours/

Helmut Marko names Red Bull 'leak' over talk Daniel Ricciardo set to be sacked
    Helmut Marko has pointed the finger of blame.
    15:25, Sat, May 11, 2024
    By Mikael McKenzie
    Daily and Sunday Express

Red Bull chief Helmut Marko believes Liam Lawson's manager has been leaking stories that Daniel Ricciardo is set to be sacked by RB at the upcoming Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. Ricciardo has yet to score a single point this season and his place is under threat.

"The rumors that Ricciardo will be replaced by Liam Lawson at Imola are nonsense," Marko told speedweek.com. "Liam's manager from New Zealand was there, apparently he has certain dreams and they are made known through some media - including from New Zealand. Nothing at all is planned in Imola. But of course we will look at this in the future."

‘The finger of blame’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...niel-Ricciardo

Lawson's management behind Ricciardo rumours?
    12/05/2024
    NEWS STORY
    Pitpass

Helmut Marko has suggested that Liam Lawson's management was behind the claim that Daniel Ricciardo would be dropped in favour of the kiwi.

Writing in Speedweek, Helmut Marko suggests that the rumour regarding Ricciardo's sacking came from Lawson's management.

‘Liam Lawson's management’;

https://www.pitpass.com/77649/Lawson...ciardo-rumours

Ricciardo provides unlikely answer on F1 career query
    Daniel Ricciardo gave an unexpected answer when asked which moment in his F1 career was his proudest so far.
    13 May 9:55AM
    Samuel Coop
    RacingNews365

Daniel Ricciardo has explained two career highlights he considers to be his proudest moments in F1. Opting for two moments with Red Bull - both from 2014, when he partnered and beat four-time reigning champion team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

"Two come to mind," he told Formula1.com. "I think the first win is one, because it’s something you dream of. Until you do it you’re not fully, fully convinced that you can.

"But also Melbourne, my first year with Red Bull [in 2014], nearly getting pole, qualifying on the front row and getting second there."

‘Unlikely answer on F1 career query’;

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-...1-career-query