Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Speaking of next year, does anyone know when they’re planning to run the event?
    By the end of April, or early May 2025

https://www.wrc.com/a/news/w27821_WR...n-the-calendar

WRC stars excited for Rally Islas Canarias to join the calendar

Leading FIA World Rally Championship drivers believe Rally Islas Canarias joining the calendar from 2025 will be a big hit among the fans and provide a “proper” asphalt challenge from behind the wheel.

Subject to FIA World Motor Sport Council approval, Rally Islas Canarias will host Spain’s WRC counter in 2025 and 2026 following its hugely successful tenure as part of the FIA European Rally Championship (ERC).

Adrien Fourmaux, who won Rally Islas Canarias in 2020 (pictured above) and has since claimed two podiums in the WRC for M-Sport Ford, said: “It was a great experience for me, the stages are proper Tarmac stages, really high grip, normally. They are flowing in the mountains and the view of the sea when you are at the top is great. Sometimes it’s a bit narrow, sometimes it’s wide.”

He continued: “I was really enjoying the rally but when I came to the Canaries people told me there is only three days of rain in a year. But when the rally started, it was November, we had four days full rain so I did all the stages under the rain, so it’s still going to be new for me but I’m really pleased it’s in the WRC, it’s a proper Tarmac event.”

Hyundai Motorsport driver Esapekka Lappi has never rallied on Gran Canaria before but he did complete the recce in 2013.

The Finn said: “Actually on the moment when it was announced I was there having a holiday there but I have been there before on holiday but also in work mode. Eleven years ago I did the recce. We’ve been saying Catalunya is the best Tarmac rally in the world but let’s wait and see, I’m pretty sure this will be better than Catalunya. The Tarmac is so smooth, there is no bumps, no cuts, it’s very consistent grip so you can set up the car really low and stiff. It’s a proper racing circuit feeling so it will be amazing. And for Finnish people it’s a holiday destination and it will be a really enjoyable event for them.”

Unlike his Hyundai team-mate Lappi, Thierry Neuville has two Rally Islas Canarias starts under his belt from 2010 and 2011.

“It’s a very nice event, really enjoyable and wide, fast and flowing roads,” Belgian driver Neuville said. “There were a massive amount of spectators when I was there, very passionate. It was my first real event in a Super 2000 car and I finished seven seconds from the lead in third place behind the two official Škodas. It’s an event I really enjoyed and I really look forward to go back.”

Toyota Gazoo Racing's Elfyn Evans said: “I would definitely say it’s a good addition to the calendar. We don’t really have our clean Tarmac rally in the calendar with Catalunya gone so it’s nice to have this event. It will be in a lovely setting and atmosphere.”

Double WRC champion Kalle Rovanperä added: “I’ve seen onboards of the stages from the ERC and it look nice. If we use the same stages I think it can be a really nice rally.”

https://www.rallyislascanarias.com/i...ition-possible

Rally Islas Canarias appreciates the collaboration of everyone who made the 2024 edition possible

The final chapter in the FIA ​​European Rally Championship was quite a spectacle on the road. Emotion at all levels that would not have been possible without the involvement of institutions, private companies, law enforcement forces, federations, media, officials, teams, staff and, in a special way, the bulk of a fan who knew how to be there the height. Next chapter: the WRC.

A few days after the celebration of the 48 Rally Islas Canarias, the event organized by Todo Sport wants to publicly thank the collaboration of all the parties involved. Without the collaboration of the different groups it would have been impossible to enjoy an event that was quite a spectacle on the tarmac of Gran Canaria and which, as could be seen through the images, was enjoyed by thousands and thousands of fans.

Precisely, the fans have been largely to blame for this success. They, better than anyone, have known how to understand that security was a fundamental pillar to achieve success. They have shown exemplary behavior and have attended en masse to each of the appointments set in the route sheet of the 48 Rally Islas Canarias.

Of course, thanks to the teams. The nearly 100 participants, with around 20 different nationalities, have underlined the importance of this event at an international, national and local level. In fact, many of them have called it their favorite or the best tarmac event in the world.

The media, from the written press, television, radio, websites and social networks, have reported in the most professional way possible, precisely, in a historic edition that has sealed a brilliant stage in the FIA European Rally Championship.

Outstanding mention for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria, from its president to the areas corresponding to the Insular Sports Institute and the Tourist Board; the Government of the Canary Islands, with Promotur Turismo de Canarias, the Department of Sports and the Vice-Presidency of the Government, as well as the Delegation and Subdelegation of the Government in the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands in Las Palmas. Also, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria once again got involved in this sporting event. He did it with the Municipal Sports Institute and the Department of Tourism (Las Palmas Visit), a municipality that once again hosted the operational base of the Rally Islas Canarias. Together, they managed, with their total support and willingness, to make this 48th edition a resounding success.

The rest of the municipalities involved in the event route, with their local police forces, civil protection and their corresponding operators, have also had an important role in the success of this edition. This has been the case of Santa María de Guía, Agüimes, Santa Lucía de Tirajana, Tejeda, Artenara, Gáldar, Arucas, Firgas, Moya, Valleseco, San Mateo, Valsequillo and San Bartolomé de Tirajana, scenarios that will go down in the history of one of the most vibrant editions of the Gran Canaria event.

Thanks also to the different sporting federations, from the FIA to the RFEDA or FCA, passing through FALP. A chapter in which it is also worth mentioning WRC Promoter, a family with which the Rally Islas Canarias has had a wonderful understanding since its union in the 2022 edition.

Special mention to the public order forces, from the Guardia Civil command, as well as its traffic, public order and citizen security forces, including the National Police, Local Police of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Civil Protection, as well as well as the special forces GOIA and GRS.

The private section has played a very important role in 2024. Fred. Olsen Express & Baleària have once again been a fundamental pillar in the transfer of international and national teams. Domingo Alonso Group, with its companies Hyundai Canarias and Avis Canarias, added Repuestos Doral this year, as a result of its confidence in this sporting event. Lopesan, Sonocom, ServiTecni, Sofcan, Giet, Festina, Pirotecnia Huracán and Estación Bp El Taro also joined that group, without whose contribution nothing would have become a reality.

Thanks to the officials, from the sports delegates, to the RFEDA and FIA observers, timekeepers, technical marshals, route marshals, race director, deputy directors, relations with participants and volunteers, whose work, in the majority of shadow cases, it is not usually recognized.

And finally, special thanks to the Todo Sport Staff, organizer of the 48 Rally Islas Canarias, who after a year of intense work carried out crucial work to bring this ocean liner to the best of ports.

After a brilliant and historic stage in the FIA ​​European Rally Championship, the Rally Islas Canarias is now looking, with the enthusiasm and weight of its history, towards a new front, that of the World Rally Championship. See you next year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw5W9a1AWQU

FULL ONBOARD Cachón Power Stage I ERC Rally Islas Canarias 2024

Liked 9,378 Times in 4,990 Posts
    After none from Rally Hungary were shown here, it's good to see the Rally Canarias highlights on TNT Sport in the UK.
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 10th May 2024 at 17:44.